Skip to main content

When "Kids Will Be Kids" Just Doesn't Cut It - ST Week 4.1

There is nothing I dislike more than when a catch–all phrase is used to justify otherwise unacceptable behavior: “Boys will be boys,” “If the shoe fits,” and “Happy wife, happy life” are all common examples of phrases employed as blanket excuses for a wide variety of social situations. Of course, such idioms exist in a similar way to many stereotypes in that they may be true in some cases, but not others. While the situation I am about to describe was not justified in any way by its participants or bystanders, it was a scenario I believe many would label as one where boys were just “being boys.” For this post, I would like to reflect on the dilemma many educators face when establishing classroom norms for behavior management, particularly teachers of students who are coping with the rapid developmental changes of puberty that can sometimes lead to chaotic choices.


Source: https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/04/12/sunday-review/12BOYLAN/12BOYLAN-master675-v2.gif


A group of four to five boys tends to gather in a circle while waiting for class to start in the back corner of our classroom. One boy will take a softer foam ball from the basket of sports gear we keep stored on a filing cabinet when it’s not warm enough to spend some time outside, and he and his friends will toss the ball around their circle. As their game picks up, the boys start to shove each other to catch the ball before their friends can, and eventually any number of them are twisting another’s arm or attempting to hold another in a headlock. Now, I know these boys have no intention of seriously hurting themselves or each other, but I do get a little anxious when I ask for them to take their seats and they give one last reluctant shove before settling down. Roughhousing is a part of growing up— I understand that. However, where is the line between playful roughhousing and the type of physical contact that could quickly spiral if it isn’t shut down?

The Team Nova teachers seem to draw this line in different places based on their own comfort levels, as do most educators in the EMS building and beyond. It is clear that physical contact with the intention to hurt oneself or others is not acceptable, but what about the gray zones where friends are just messing around? After witnessing a few roughhousing instances, I realized that my instincts to stop the boys’ play seemed to kick in a lot quicker than those of some teachers, but they were also a bit slower than others. First and foremost, my priority is to maintain a healthy and safe environment for my students, and with roughhousing, there is a lot to consider in the health and safety areas: Will the physical contact turn into something more aggressive? Could the play be perceived as real fighting, and could that perception trigger other students or adults? What if someone accidentally gets hurt, or the roughhousing makes someone involved (participant or witness) feel uncomfortable? What if something in the classroom (chair, table, technology equipment) breaks as a result of the ball throwing or competitive shoves? Common sense tells me that when the game turns into more than just a few simple nudges, I should jump in and stop the interaction before it escalates, but not every teacher, parent, or student would agree with my decision. Roughhousing is against our school’s conduct policies, but “roughhousing” is hard to define, especially when certain types of rough play would be considered active participation in P.E. or recess. For now, I am comfortable with taking my cooperating teacher’s lead and learning where he draws the line in his classroom and in the hallways. In the future, I am inclined to say I will follow my school’s policies on classroom management. However, I also believe that I will not hesitate to intervene earlier on in a roughhousing situation if students’ play looks like it holds the potential to erupt in more aggressive behaviors. So, while I understand that some developmental needs may lead my students to portray the textbook “middle schooler” types, I look forward to learning more about classroom management in my placement as new behavior challenges arise. Hopefully, the skills I will develop in classroom management will better support my goal to create a safe, healthy, and respectful learning community within my future classroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Alternatives: Book Reports

As a part of my elementary school's annual community-building program, students in all grades (which, for us, meant Kindergarten through 5th Grade) were asked to read the same short novel at home. Now, I know that sounds odd, considering the average kindergartener is likely at a lower reading level than the average fifth grader. However, with the option to have your parent or guardian read the story with you at home, I assure you that I was able to make it through some higher level reading with little trouble. By participating in year-round activities as a whole school, students were able to relate to each other across grade levels, all because they had read the same book and had followed the same characters. I will never forget how excited I was when I won a dictionary (Yes, a dictionary... I'd be less excited now, too) for answering the most trivia questions correctly about The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs . Though, if I had one complaint about the school- wide

Place-Based Learning: Museums and the Importance of Physical Space in Middle School Education

Before there were formalized schools, there were living rooms, church halls, back steps, battlefields, and the great outdoors. Education came in all shapes and sizes, from the modern understanding of “traditional” study through the analysis of past writings and artifacts to the natural signals one learned to recognize on the farm before an approaching storm. Students were not just young people hunched over a book shielded from the world behind brick walls. They were citizens learning how to manage a family business, reading and printing newspapers, planting seeds, plowing land, and striving to better prepare themselves for the future, whatever it held for them. Today’s students aim to do the same. Yet their education seems to have restricted itself to the boundaries of school property, or perhaps it occasionally wanders beyond county lines. What happened to learning about your environment— and all the life that lived and lives within it— by experiencing everything it has to offer fir

Troublemakers, by Carla Shalaby

Out of any word in the English language, I think I am most intimidated by “power.” It is full of contradictions: Power provokes a sense of accomplishment while implying the achievement and maintenance of power requires competition, hierarchy, and domination. Power is given and taken easily, and it yields to external factors beyond its control. Some people fear power, others are generous with it, and still more meet their doom when pride becomes its companion. Power allows for advancement. It provides a sense of order and control, but it can also create and fuel chaos. Individuals, groups, small islands, and large nations all possess a certain degree of power. As a future educator, the environment of my classroom will depend entirely on how I and my students handle the power we are given in our teacher-student relationships. More importantly, my power as a potential change-maker in their lives— through traditional lessons, personal relationships, worldly guidance, and honest compassion