Skip to main content

Mapping for Success - ST Week 4.3

After a busy week of planning warm-ups and parts of lessons around school assemblies and team meetings, I am grateful to have this morning (Saturday) to reflect on the past few days of my student teaching experience. While there were many ups and some downs throughout the week, I would like to highlight the so far successful lesson plan and materials I designed with the support of a special educator to accommodate one of my students with Down Syndrome. Our class is still focusing on Westward Expansion in the United States, and together with reading and writing activities, our students are also working on developing map comprehension skills that combine identifying geographic locations with an understanding of cardinal directions. For the lesson I created, I chose to harness my student’s major interests in identifying shapes on a map as certain places, creating a mini timeline project that tracks the addition of new states to the Union as white settlers pushed west.


Source: https://ticonderogasummer.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/labeled-westward-expansion-map.jpg


Using a Google Docs table I made with western state names, their shapes, and their establishment dates already filled in, I asked my student to complete the table by finding each state’s corresponding flag and another image that represents the state today (like a state flower, bird, etc.). The two table columns my student completed feature a website link in the heading that I deemed useful for finding the required information about each state. After completing the table, my student printed out their work and began cutting out each state and the associated images they found one by one. As my student cuts out each state based on their establishment years (they are in order from oldest to newest on the table), they glue the images to a long sheet of paper with a timeline drawn on it, placing the state name/shape/year box on the actual timeline and the other images around it. While their timeline is not finished yet, my student is on the right path to successfully completing my lesson and demonstrating their knowledge of western U.S. states.

As a future educator, I think one of my biggest fears as I continue my student teaching semester is the worry that I am over or underestimating the abilities of my students with disabilities. The fact that my western U.S. states lesson is not only practical for my student, but also producing evidence that they are learning within their ZPD is a huge victory in my book this week. Embracing a “there is always room for improvement” philosophy, however, I look forward to examining the final timeline product at the end of my student’s multi–day lesson. While I know my student is now correctly identifying states by shape, flag, and other symbols, I hope that the timeline they produce will prove to be useful in understanding concepts of “then and now” as we progress through North America’s chronological history. I also hope that the usability of the final timeline will highlight any flaws in my lesson plan, particularly in my wording of directions or the actual format of the Google Doc. Working closely with a special educator to better understand the strengths and limitations of my students, I am confident that my accommodated lesson planning for students with disabilities will continue to improve over the course of the semester, but I am pretty proud of the success my first implemented lesson plan with specific accommodations for a single student has allowed my student to achieve thus far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Alternatives: Book Reports

As a part of my elementary school's annual community-building program, students in all grades (which, for us, meant Kindergarten through 5th Grade) were asked to read the same short novel at home. Now, I know that sounds odd, considering the average kindergartener is likely at a lower reading level than the average fifth grader. However, with the option to have your parent or guardian read the story with you at home, I assure you that I was able to make it through some higher level reading with little trouble. By participating in year-round activities as a whole school, students were able to relate to each other across grade levels, all because they had read the same book and had followed the same characters. I will never forget how excited I was when I won a dictionary (Yes, a dictionary... I'd be less excited now, too) for answering the most trivia questions correctly about The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs . Though, if I had one complaint about the school- wide

Place-Based Learning: Museums and the Importance of Physical Space in Middle School Education

Before there were formalized schools, there were living rooms, church halls, back steps, battlefields, and the great outdoors. Education came in all shapes and sizes, from the modern understanding of “traditional” study through the analysis of past writings and artifacts to the natural signals one learned to recognize on the farm before an approaching storm. Students were not just young people hunched over a book shielded from the world behind brick walls. They were citizens learning how to manage a family business, reading and printing newspapers, planting seeds, plowing land, and striving to better prepare themselves for the future, whatever it held for them. Today’s students aim to do the same. Yet their education seems to have restricted itself to the boundaries of school property, or perhaps it occasionally wanders beyond county lines. What happened to learning about your environment— and all the life that lived and lives within it— by experiencing everything it has to offer fir

Troublemakers, by Carla Shalaby

Out of any word in the English language, I think I am most intimidated by “power.” It is full of contradictions: Power provokes a sense of accomplishment while implying the achievement and maintenance of power requires competition, hierarchy, and domination. Power is given and taken easily, and it yields to external factors beyond its control. Some people fear power, others are generous with it, and still more meet their doom when pride becomes its companion. Power allows for advancement. It provides a sense of order and control, but it can also create and fuel chaos. Individuals, groups, small islands, and large nations all possess a certain degree of power. As a future educator, the environment of my classroom will depend entirely on how I and my students handle the power we are given in our teacher-student relationships. More importantly, my power as a potential change-maker in their lives— through traditional lessons, personal relationships, worldly guidance, and honest compassion