Skip to main content

The Mondays, The Fridays - ST Week 3.1

“The Mondays:” A sometimes chronic case of fatigue, procrastination, and disinterest in laborious tasks, all wrapped up in a lack of motivation. Unfortunately, “the Mondays” seems to be a plague that most humans can’t quite shake, no matter one’s age or occupation. However, as I reflect on my classroom observations from the end of last week and the beginning of this one, I can’t help but wonder how legitimate a case of “the Fridays” may be for the human race as well. By “the Fridays,” I do not simply mean the perceived lifts in energy levels or the peaks in overall happiness as students and teachers look forward to the weekend. While excitement does build for many school community members as Friday morning fades into Friday afternoon, I have started to notice (and even feel) how the anxiety and dread that affects a majority of people on Monday morning is a reality for some on Friday, too.

No one has a perfect home life, and it is important to recognize that “perfect” is also entirely subjective. My mom and I often chuckle at a magnet we keep on our fridge that reads: “Remember, as far as anybody knows, we are a nice normal family.” Ironic humor aside, my student teaching experience has opened my eyes to how visible the attempts at keeping up a “normal” appearance can be, especially when the reality of students’ lives clashes with the expectations of their teachers and peers. So, while the lethargic weight of a Monday morning may feel like it coats our brain with molasses, the anxiety that grows as the prospects of spending two entire days at home becomes overwhelming makes “the Fridays” a real obstacle for a safe classroom environment, healthy coping, and learning.




As with any typical middle school classroom, my students come from a diverse set of family and educational backgrounds. Last Friday, I noticed several students’ behavior change from what I had seen in my observations throughout the whole week prior: a lot of students were more fidgety than usual, quite a few were inclined to get up frequently and walk around the room, a handful of students lost themselves in their thoughts or the scenery outside of our windows, and a few students were far more short and corrosive in their verbal expression than I was expecting. Now, I cannot claim to know all of the details of these students’ home lives, so I am not sure to what degree their Friday behaviors were motivated by excitement as opposed to anxiety and apprehension. Nonetheless, symptoms of “the Fridays” were almost as rampant in my classroom as those of “the Mondays” were yesterday. How then, as a future educator, can I offer a remedy for my students that need some anxiety relief before the weekend? What are the Fridays before a long school break like for these students, and how can I ease any tension their homes bring to school with them? Education thinkers and scholars have published a sizable collection of articles and books that outline strategies for tackling the many symptoms associated with “the Mondays,” and while several behaviorist educators touch upon anxiety and family connections in their works, the side effects of “the Fridays” are not typically examined from the same perspective or given the same types of acknowledgment (verbal, written, consideration in lesson planning) that “the Mondays” receive. Fridays are usually designated to exams, summative activities, and/or fun and less intensive classwork. Mondays are the days we have to get students to buckle down and rejoin the school’s community as productive citizens, right? Perhaps not planning for the Friday anxiety that haunts some students is half of Monday’s problem.

I am confident that most educators will agree on the importance of transitions in the classroom, whether they fall between lessons, activities, student elective courses, or academic subjects. Shouldn’t transitioning students in and out of the school building be just as important? I admittedly have little experience with after school programs at EMS beyond my knowledge of a YMCA group’s existence. Clubs and sports aside, I believe students deserve the opportunity to transition in and out of “school mode” in a way that makes shifting between home life and school life easier. School communities always seem to be moving from one classroom or meeting spot to another at lightning speed, and clubs and sports only add on to a long day for both students and staff. Where is the time to wind down, breathe, and adapt oneself for the next environment on the agenda? While my best recommendation is for schools to consider letting students have a homeroom period at the end of the day as well as at the beginning, I am not sure how something like a second homeroom would work logistically in a middle school. All the same, “the Fridays” are a true epidemic for some students, and in the future, I hope to plan some time for my own students to cope with their changing environments at the end of the school week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Alternatives: Book Reports

As a part of my elementary school's annual community-building program, students in all grades (which, for us, meant Kindergarten through 5th Grade) were asked to read the same short novel at home. Now, I know that sounds odd, considering the average kindergartener is likely at a lower reading level than the average fifth grader. However, with the option to have your parent or guardian read the story with you at home, I assure you that I was able to make it through some higher level reading with little trouble. By participating in year-round activities as a whole school, students were able to relate to each other across grade levels, all because they had read the same book and had followed the same characters. I will never forget how excited I was when I won a dictionary (Yes, a dictionary... I'd be less excited now, too) for answering the most trivia questions correctly about The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs . Though, if I had one complaint about the school- wide

Place-Based Learning: Museums and the Importance of Physical Space in Middle School Education

Before there were formalized schools, there were living rooms, church halls, back steps, battlefields, and the great outdoors. Education came in all shapes and sizes, from the modern understanding of “traditional” study through the analysis of past writings and artifacts to the natural signals one learned to recognize on the farm before an approaching storm. Students were not just young people hunched over a book shielded from the world behind brick walls. They were citizens learning how to manage a family business, reading and printing newspapers, planting seeds, plowing land, and striving to better prepare themselves for the future, whatever it held for them. Today’s students aim to do the same. Yet their education seems to have restricted itself to the boundaries of school property, or perhaps it occasionally wanders beyond county lines. What happened to learning about your environment— and all the life that lived and lives within it— by experiencing everything it has to offer fir

Troublemakers, by Carla Shalaby

Out of any word in the English language, I think I am most intimidated by “power.” It is full of contradictions: Power provokes a sense of accomplishment while implying the achievement and maintenance of power requires competition, hierarchy, and domination. Power is given and taken easily, and it yields to external factors beyond its control. Some people fear power, others are generous with it, and still more meet their doom when pride becomes its companion. Power allows for advancement. It provides a sense of order and control, but it can also create and fuel chaos. Individuals, groups, small islands, and large nations all possess a certain degree of power. As a future educator, the environment of my classroom will depend entirely on how I and my students handle the power we are given in our teacher-student relationships. More importantly, my power as a potential change-maker in their lives— through traditional lessons, personal relationships, worldly guidance, and honest compassion