Skip to main content

Model Wagons and Integrated Curriculum - ST Week 6.2

One of my favorite things about my student teaching internship is the opportunity to see how well the quality integration of social studies and the English Language Arts can work in a single humanities classroom. Growing up in a public school district that taught social studies, ELA, most STEAM subjects, and the social sciences as separate curriculums, I was inexperienced with the implementation of an integrated humanities curriculum from both the student and teacher perspectives. Even more, I was skeptical of how successful a humanities curriculum could be without sacrificing essential social studies or ELA concepts and standards. My time at EMS thus far has proven to me that with purposeful planning, expert content knowledge, generous time management, sincere dedication, and crafty unit activities and assessments, teaching the humanities is entirely possible at the secondary education level. However biased my opinion may be based on my student teaching experience this semester, I have also discovered that as a future educator, I prefer a humanities approach to teaching social studies and ELA. For me, I’d even go as far as saying that combining the humanities subjects into a single humanities course is ideal for schools embracing the middle school philosophy.

Already exposed to the successful curriculum integration within EMS humanities classrooms, I was delighted to learn that this week, Mr. J and I would further integrate our course of study by guiding students through a major Western Expansion project: wagon building. Using one of two sets of life size wagon descriptions, students will be creating miniature wagon replicas that must successfully trek across an obstacle course meant to mimic the real challenges of the Oregon Trail: deep rivers, high mountain ranges, grainy deserts, and rough terrain all around. The project not only requires students to apply their social studies knowledge of the Oregon Trail experience to anticipate possible obstacles for their wagon, but it also demands the accurate practice of math and science concepts for students to reach grading proficiency. Students must draw blueprints that correctly scale down a life size wagon to their desired replica dimensions, and many students have already discovered that they will need to make sure their wagon is either tall enough to stay above water or buoyant enough to float in our mock river. Nova’s eighth graders will not see the obstacle course until our wagon competition day, so any test runs they complete for damage control will be on their own accord. On Friday (weather permitting), Mr. J and I will use fishing rods to reel the wagons across the course at a steady pace, leaving stirring and overall wagon survival up to student design. In cahoots with Mr. J, I am also building a model wagon, and I am very excited to see which student (or teacher!) groups will end up victorious on our own Oregon Trail.


Source: http://www.guillaumeguy.com/images/slide0005_image124_000.jpg


Typically, I struggle with seeing an obvious connection between the STEM subjects and the concepts taught in a humanities classroom, and this is coming from someone who absolutely loves calculus-based physics. However, the model wagon project is an engaging way for Team Nova to integrate all core subjects within our humanities curriculum, and students are capitalizing on their math, science, and social studies skills without passive guesswork as to why each component is relevant to their learning. I look forward to observing students as they work through the challenges of our Oregon Trail wagon project in the coming days, and I intend to pay close attention to how students tackle the multi-subject tasks when I'm noting their learning progress. In the future, I hope to design lessons and projects for my humanities courses that employ the STEAM concepts students have mastered or are presently mastering in their other classes. Clearly, the model wagon project proves that curriculum integration can and should go beyond the humanities/STEM lines, and I am eager to test out my own integrated unit designs that will hopefully endure all of the challenges of a real classroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Alternatives: Book Reports

As a part of my elementary school's annual community-building program, students in all grades (which, for us, meant Kindergarten through 5th Grade) were asked to read the same short novel at home. Now, I know that sounds odd, considering the average kindergartener is likely at a lower reading level than the average fifth grader. However, with the option to have your parent or guardian read the story with you at home, I assure you that I was able to make it through some higher level reading with little trouble. By participating in year-round activities as a whole school, students were able to relate to each other across grade levels, all because they had read the same book and had followed the same characters. I will never forget how excited I was when I won a dictionary (Yes, a dictionary... I'd be less excited now, too) for answering the most trivia questions correctly about The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs . Though, if I had one complaint about the school- wide

Place-Based Learning: Museums and the Importance of Physical Space in Middle School Education

Before there were formalized schools, there were living rooms, church halls, back steps, battlefields, and the great outdoors. Education came in all shapes and sizes, from the modern understanding of “traditional” study through the analysis of past writings and artifacts to the natural signals one learned to recognize on the farm before an approaching storm. Students were not just young people hunched over a book shielded from the world behind brick walls. They were citizens learning how to manage a family business, reading and printing newspapers, planting seeds, plowing land, and striving to better prepare themselves for the future, whatever it held for them. Today’s students aim to do the same. Yet their education seems to have restricted itself to the boundaries of school property, or perhaps it occasionally wanders beyond county lines. What happened to learning about your environment— and all the life that lived and lives within it— by experiencing everything it has to offer fir

Troublemakers, by Carla Shalaby

Out of any word in the English language, I think I am most intimidated by “power.” It is full of contradictions: Power provokes a sense of accomplishment while implying the achievement and maintenance of power requires competition, hierarchy, and domination. Power is given and taken easily, and it yields to external factors beyond its control. Some people fear power, others are generous with it, and still more meet their doom when pride becomes its companion. Power allows for advancement. It provides a sense of order and control, but it can also create and fuel chaos. Individuals, groups, small islands, and large nations all possess a certain degree of power. As a future educator, the environment of my classroom will depend entirely on how I and my students handle the power we are given in our teacher-student relationships. More importantly, my power as a potential change-maker in their lives— through traditional lessons, personal relationships, worldly guidance, and honest compassion