Skip to main content

Troublemakers, by Carla Shalaby

Out of any word in the English language, I think I am most intimidated by “power.” It is full of contradictions: Power provokes a sense of accomplishment while implying the achievement and maintenance of power requires competition, hierarchy, and domination. Power is given and taken easily, and it yields to external factors beyond its control. Some people fear power, others are generous with it, and still more meet their doom when pride becomes its companion. Power allows for advancement. It provides a sense of order and control, but it can also create and fuel chaos. Individuals, groups, small islands, and large nations all possess a certain degree of power. As a future educator, the environment of my classroom will depend entirely on how I and my students handle the power we are given in our teacher-student relationships. More importantly, my power as a potential change-maker in their lives— through traditional lessons, personal relationships, worldly guidance, and honest compassion— will stem from the bonds I form with students as a person connecting with people. For the past few weeks, I have read and discussed Troublemakers: Lessons in Freedom From Young Children At School, by Carla Shalaby, with my peers in our Middle Grades Organization class here at St. Mike’s. Tracing the ups and downs, goods and not-so-goods of four elementary schoolers deemed “troublemakers” by their learning communities, Shalaby’s text asks the reader to consider best teaching practices and what schools can do better as places of learning and whole-student support. Through Shalaby’s case studies, I discovered a lot about the role power plays in the classroom. These students attend schools that seem to embrace both progressive and traditional teaching practices, yet their teachers’ ability to consistently reach them as people rather than “troublemakers” depends on their available resources, their success in developing promising plans for classroom management, and how they choose to implement their power.
Source: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51vSOF6XkHL._SY346_.jpg
When thinking about my own future classroom, it is much easier for me to identify how and when I do not want to exercise my power as a teacher than to ponder how and when I do. That’s the tricky thing about authority: how I choose to embrace my power as an educator when it comes to my students will depend entirely on the relationships I forge with each one individually. Different students have different needs and respond to different teaching methods. With this understanding, the only way I know I would want to use my power as a teacher is by shaping my lessons and relationships with students so that they meet my students’ needs. However, I can think of plenty of ways I would not want to exercise my power, all of which are best summarized by four larger ideas:
  1. I do not want to be the loudest, most correct, or only voice in the room. All voices in the classroom matter if the environment is truly conducive to learning and compassion.
  2. I do not want to be the only teacher in the room. I want to learn from my students just as much as they learn from me, if not more.
  3. I do not want to make every learning decision for my students. I want students, families, classroom support staff, and the wider community to contribute to the learning process.
  4. I do not want to see students only as students subordinate to my role as a teacher. I want to educate young people and prepare them for their futures as global citizens.

Of course, there are numerous examples of situations in which my position as an authority figure will require hard decisions and a firmer grip on the classroom reins. But these circumstances will change with every new group of students and every passing day, so I can only commit to how I know I will not exercise my power as a teacher. I suppose of even greater importance than the four points above is this: Power will not be an intimidating word in my classroom. Instead, it will be the balance of love and learning that has an equal impact on both teacher and student.

Comments

  1. Hi Allie! I really appreciated your examination of the word power--it has such a heavy undertone that is initially intimidating, but so important to explore within the context of school. I loved how you broke your ideas down into four broad categories that allow you to be flexible to the needs of your students. I think one of the exciting (albeit challenging) parts of teaching is that we, like our students, are never static and continually define and redefine what our roles are on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allie! I also like how you analyzed the word power; and it is such a major theme of Troublemakers. It's refreshing to see the four things you don't want to do within your future classroom because it's oriented for the student and gives students agency and voice. Power can be a tricky and dangerous thing, but if it's fair and equitable it can cultivate the confidence needed to empower and motivate students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Power is a very domineering word and I appreciate that you acknowledge that and its other aspects. I think it is so important for the mindset surrounding power in the classroom to change, and that the power in a relationship, especially with teachers and students, is entirely dependent on that specific relationship. You raise a lot of good points in this post and definitely make me reconsider my view of this book! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Allie for your insightful post! The word power can quickly move us into thinking about compliance and an authoritarian approach. Yet, as you listed in your commitments, power, in schools, is about supporting young people in finding their own personal power and purpose. - Lindsey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Alternatives: Book Reports

As a part of my elementary school's annual community-building program, students in all grades (which, for us, meant Kindergarten through 5th Grade) were asked to read the same short novel at home. Now, I know that sounds odd, considering the average kindergartener is likely at a lower reading level than the average fifth grader. However, with the option to have your parent or guardian read the story with you at home, I assure you that I was able to make it through some higher level reading with little trouble. By participating in year-round activities as a whole school, students were able to relate to each other across grade levels, all because they had read the same book and had followed the same characters. I will never forget how excited I was when I won a dictionary (Yes, a dictionary... I'd be less excited now, too) for answering the most trivia questions correctly about The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs . Though, if I had one complaint about the school- wide

Place-Based Learning: Museums and the Importance of Physical Space in Middle School Education

Before there were formalized schools, there were living rooms, church halls, back steps, battlefields, and the great outdoors. Education came in all shapes and sizes, from the modern understanding of “traditional” study through the analysis of past writings and artifacts to the natural signals one learned to recognize on the farm before an approaching storm. Students were not just young people hunched over a book shielded from the world behind brick walls. They were citizens learning how to manage a family business, reading and printing newspapers, planting seeds, plowing land, and striving to better prepare themselves for the future, whatever it held for them. Today’s students aim to do the same. Yet their education seems to have restricted itself to the boundaries of school property, or perhaps it occasionally wanders beyond county lines. What happened to learning about your environment— and all the life that lived and lives within it— by experiencing everything it has to offer fir