Skip to main content

YA Lit.: Lighter Than My Shadow

As a visual learning, I have always loved incorporating some type of artistic element into my school projects. My notebooks are covered in doodles that (usually) relate to the lecture material surrounding them, and I often like to draw out scenes from a novel or play in order to better understand how characters interact with one another and their environment. I loved comic books and graphic novels as a kid, but stopped reading them when they were no longer stocked on my teachers' classroom shelves. So, when I discovered that there are graphic novels that target young adults as the main audience, I was pretty excited to dive into a world that was already drawn out for me.

Lighter Than My Shadow,  a graphic novel written and illustrated by Katie Green, takes the reader through the author's struggles with anorexia nervosa, binging, therapy, and sexual assault. While the subject matter is heavy on the heart, the ability to see the physical changes in Katie along with her thoughts and narration is extremely powerful.

Source: https://media.instocktrades.com/large/JUL171995.jpg



The reader follows Katie from childhood through graduate school, and is often left wondering how Katie and other characters could not see the obvious signs of her disorder from the beginning. As I was reading, I found myself frustrated with Katie's parents and friends-- I mean, if I could pick up on the symptoms for OCD, anxiety, and anorexia, why couldn't they? But, in my frustration, I realized how important novels like Lighter Than My Shadow   would be for my future students.

The visual component of graphic novels handling themes relevant to young adults is far beyond that of comic books or other illustrations meant for pleasure reading. Allowing the reader to see physical changes or experiences of a character enhances the message behind the narration that visual learners may otherwise miss. Not to mention, the illustrations make longer graphic novels less tiresome and intimidating to readers who lose stamina quickly. The easy accessibility of graphic novels is one of many reasons why I would chose to incorporate Lighter Than My Shadow   and other works into my classroom as reading options. With themes that are relevant to my future students, graphic novels meant for young adult readers will definitely have a place on my classroom shelves. Hopefully, I will be able to build a collection that focuses on history. If not, maybe I'll draw my own!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Alternatives: Book Reports

As a part of my elementary school's annual community-building program, students in all grades (which, for us, meant Kindergarten through 5th Grade) were asked to read the same short novel at home. Now, I know that sounds odd, considering the average kindergartener is likely at a lower reading level than the average fifth grader. However, with the option to have your parent or guardian read the story with you at home, I assure you that I was able to make it through some higher level reading with little trouble. By participating in year-round activities as a whole school, students were able to relate to each other across grade levels, all because they had read the same book and had followed the same characters. I will never forget how excited I was when I won a dictionary (Yes, a dictionary... I'd be less excited now, too) for answering the most trivia questions correctly about The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs . Though, if I had one complaint about the school- wide

Place-Based Learning: Museums and the Importance of Physical Space in Middle School Education

Before there were formalized schools, there were living rooms, church halls, back steps, battlefields, and the great outdoors. Education came in all shapes and sizes, from the modern understanding of “traditional” study through the analysis of past writings and artifacts to the natural signals one learned to recognize on the farm before an approaching storm. Students were not just young people hunched over a book shielded from the world behind brick walls. They were citizens learning how to manage a family business, reading and printing newspapers, planting seeds, plowing land, and striving to better prepare themselves for the future, whatever it held for them. Today’s students aim to do the same. Yet their education seems to have restricted itself to the boundaries of school property, or perhaps it occasionally wanders beyond county lines. What happened to learning about your environment— and all the life that lived and lives within it— by experiencing everything it has to offer fir

Troublemakers, by Carla Shalaby

Out of any word in the English language, I think I am most intimidated by “power.” It is full of contradictions: Power provokes a sense of accomplishment while implying the achievement and maintenance of power requires competition, hierarchy, and domination. Power is given and taken easily, and it yields to external factors beyond its control. Some people fear power, others are generous with it, and still more meet their doom when pride becomes its companion. Power allows for advancement. It provides a sense of order and control, but it can also create and fuel chaos. Individuals, groups, small islands, and large nations all possess a certain degree of power. As a future educator, the environment of my classroom will depend entirely on how I and my students handle the power we are given in our teacher-student relationships. More importantly, my power as a potential change-maker in their lives— through traditional lessons, personal relationships, worldly guidance, and honest compassion