Skip to main content

Professional Development: LGBTQ+ Workshop

One of my favorite things about the Education program at Saint Michael's is the incorporation of different professional development opportunities as a part of my course work. Earlier this month, my Adolescent Development class attended a workshop on transgender teens run by Outright Vermont, a local organization that aims to build safe environments for LGBTQ+ teens. Knowing that my future students will be members or know members of the LGBTQ+ community, I was extremely excited to learn more about transgender teens. Even more, I was eager to learn how I can make my future classroom a safe and welcoming space for all of my students.

Source: http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/lgbt-rainbow-flag_100375401_m.jpg

Rather than post a lengthy description of the workshop and how I plan to nurture a tolerant and accepting classroom in the future, I decided to post a poem I wrote in response to the workshop instead. I think the most important thing I learned at the workshop is that everyone has so much more to learn about gender, sexuality, and tolerance. My poem is an attempt to express this understanding:


Hide and Seek
By Allison Cullen

Who is counting, you or I?
All will seek, but who will hide?
Can we choose which role we play?
I don’t think so, that’s half the game.
One
First grade, First signs
Something about those pink bows and buckle shoes
Just isn’t right
For digging in the sandbox.
Girls can’t play the little brothers of the playground houses,
But Boys won’t let me drive Tonka trucks
As if yellow were the new blue.
Two  categories. Is that all there is?
“Boys and Girls,” “Girls and Boys,”
Everything seems to be sorted in terms that do not describe me.
I do not understand why I don’t like pink,
But everyone assumes that I should,
That I do.
I do not understand why I want to like blue,
But on the playground I feel a cowardly yellow.
Three  schools and it is clear that
The only place I can hide from critical eyes
is within the dresses my mother bought me,
Under the make-up I despise,
Following the social constructs that define how I am perceived
No matter who I am inside.
With each passing day, the pressure to shrink within myself
Really just makes me want to explode,
But I can’t find the answers I am looking for if my outside is as
Broken as the world says my insides are.
Four  years of high school
Characteristically ruthless and unforgiving,
But it does not have to be.
Why do I have to hide within the
Terms and Restrictions of “female,”
When the only box I can check honestly is that
“I am not a robot?”
When did everyone else decide that they were the
Gender they wanted to be?
Five, six, or seven?
How many times must I ask myself
“What is wrong with me?” before the world
Shows me that I am not a mistake?
How long do I have to hide from others while
I search for myself?
Eight  types of sexuality and counting,
But I am left waiting for a bathroom sign
That welcomes someone who falls between the cross and the arrow,
For someone who fears being found by someone else who does not understand
Nine  times out of Ten.
One day the words
Come out, come out, wherever you are
on the spectrums of gender and sexuality will ring true.
But until then, coming out requires the rest of the world to
Come in.
Into my thinking, into some level of understanding
That I am the only person who determines what
box I check, what label I chose, what shoes I fill.
And when you start your search for comprehension,
I will stop hiding.
Ready or not,
Here I come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Alternatives: Book Reports

As a part of my elementary school's annual community-building program, students in all grades (which, for us, meant Kindergarten through 5th Grade) were asked to read the same short novel at home. Now, I know that sounds odd, considering the average kindergartener is likely at a lower reading level than the average fifth grader. However, with the option to have your parent or guardian read the story with you at home, I assure you that I was able to make it through some higher level reading with little trouble. By participating in year-round activities as a whole school, students were able to relate to each other across grade levels, all because they had read the same book and had followed the same characters. I will never forget how excited I was when I won a dictionary (Yes, a dictionary... I'd be less excited now, too) for answering the most trivia questions correctly about The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs . Though, if I had one complaint about the school- wide

Place-Based Learning: Museums and the Importance of Physical Space in Middle School Education

Before there were formalized schools, there were living rooms, church halls, back steps, battlefields, and the great outdoors. Education came in all shapes and sizes, from the modern understanding of “traditional” study through the analysis of past writings and artifacts to the natural signals one learned to recognize on the farm before an approaching storm. Students were not just young people hunched over a book shielded from the world behind brick walls. They were citizens learning how to manage a family business, reading and printing newspapers, planting seeds, plowing land, and striving to better prepare themselves for the future, whatever it held for them. Today’s students aim to do the same. Yet their education seems to have restricted itself to the boundaries of school property, or perhaps it occasionally wanders beyond county lines. What happened to learning about your environment— and all the life that lived and lives within it— by experiencing everything it has to offer fir

Troublemakers, by Carla Shalaby

Out of any word in the English language, I think I am most intimidated by “power.” It is full of contradictions: Power provokes a sense of accomplishment while implying the achievement and maintenance of power requires competition, hierarchy, and domination. Power is given and taken easily, and it yields to external factors beyond its control. Some people fear power, others are generous with it, and still more meet their doom when pride becomes its companion. Power allows for advancement. It provides a sense of order and control, but it can also create and fuel chaos. Individuals, groups, small islands, and large nations all possess a certain degree of power. As a future educator, the environment of my classroom will depend entirely on how I and my students handle the power we are given in our teacher-student relationships. More importantly, my power as a potential change-maker in their lives— through traditional lessons, personal relationships, worldly guidance, and honest compassion