Skip to main content

Working with ELLs: Winooski High School

Source: http://www.clipartsuggest.com/images/687/external-image-world-holding-hands-png-T6RSbU-clipart.png

One thing I absolutely love about the Burlington, Vermont area is the cultural diversity among its citizens. Local restaurants, clothing stores, and small knick knack shops often reflect the cultures of their small business owners; and Saint Michael's frequently hosts poetry slam groups, musicians, and speakers that have immigrated to the United States. There are several opportunities, through both the college and local organizations, to work with local refugee communities and American newcomers. Fortunately for Secondary Education majors, St. Mike's connects students with ELLs in surrounding middle and high schools as a field placement and partnership opportunity.

If you missed the post about my first meeting with S., my amazing ELL student, check it out here!

Since my first meeting with S., I have only worked with him on one other occasion. S. and I continued to work on his Government project, and did not have much time to talk about anything other than his assignment topic. However, I did notice that S. remembered a majority of the explanations I had given him on certain phrases in his research material, and corrected himself before making grammatical mistakes I had corrected before. I was extremely excited to see how much S. had retained from our first meeting; he is a fast and eager learning, and I'm happy that I could in some way enhance that.

Unfortunately, I will not be meeting with S. for another few weeks since we will both be on school break. In the meantime, I thought I would create a post about the ELL program at Winooski High School to continue my blog series on ELLs.

With approximately 33% of the high school students enrolled in one of several ELL programs, the Winooski School District (WSD) aims to support ELL students and their families by providing a wide variety of services to fit each family's needs. WSD is staffed with ELL teachers, translators, interpreters, and home liaisons-- most living within the refugee or immigrant communities as immigrants themselves. Extending beyond the classroom, the home liaisons provide continued support for the families of ELL students, reinforcing the community-based ideas of Winooski schools.

The WSD employs the WiDA ELL standards and instruction for student evaluation, taking a progressive approach to language learning. WiDA emphasizes several of the values promoted by the WSD mission: innovation, service, collaboration, and high quality standards.

While I have reviewed the WiDA rubrics used to evaluate S., I am excited to learn more about WiDA and how it is applied to curriculum. As I continue to work with S., I look forward to the first-hand experiences I will have with ELL programs, both as a student and as a future teacher.

To learn more about WiDA, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Alternatives: Book Reports

As a part of my elementary school's annual community-building program, students in all grades (which, for us, meant Kindergarten through 5th Grade) were asked to read the same short novel at home. Now, I know that sounds odd, considering the average kindergartener is likely at a lower reading level than the average fifth grader. However, with the option to have your parent or guardian read the story with you at home, I assure you that I was able to make it through some higher level reading with little trouble. By participating in year-round activities as a whole school, students were able to relate to each other across grade levels, all because they had read the same book and had followed the same characters. I will never forget how excited I was when I won a dictionary (Yes, a dictionary... I'd be less excited now, too) for answering the most trivia questions correctly about The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs . Though, if I had one complaint about the school- wide

Place-Based Learning: Museums and the Importance of Physical Space in Middle School Education

Before there were formalized schools, there were living rooms, church halls, back steps, battlefields, and the great outdoors. Education came in all shapes and sizes, from the modern understanding of “traditional” study through the analysis of past writings and artifacts to the natural signals one learned to recognize on the farm before an approaching storm. Students were not just young people hunched over a book shielded from the world behind brick walls. They were citizens learning how to manage a family business, reading and printing newspapers, planting seeds, plowing land, and striving to better prepare themselves for the future, whatever it held for them. Today’s students aim to do the same. Yet their education seems to have restricted itself to the boundaries of school property, or perhaps it occasionally wanders beyond county lines. What happened to learning about your environment— and all the life that lived and lives within it— by experiencing everything it has to offer fir

Troublemakers, by Carla Shalaby

Out of any word in the English language, I think I am most intimidated by “power.” It is full of contradictions: Power provokes a sense of accomplishment while implying the achievement and maintenance of power requires competition, hierarchy, and domination. Power is given and taken easily, and it yields to external factors beyond its control. Some people fear power, others are generous with it, and still more meet their doom when pride becomes its companion. Power allows for advancement. It provides a sense of order and control, but it can also create and fuel chaos. Individuals, groups, small islands, and large nations all possess a certain degree of power. As a future educator, the environment of my classroom will depend entirely on how I and my students handle the power we are given in our teacher-student relationships. More importantly, my power as a potential change-maker in their lives— through traditional lessons, personal relationships, worldly guidance, and honest compassion