Skip to main content

Placement Week 1: Humanities at Essex Middle School

We can all picture it: Walking to the bus stop with our iPod shuffles (or iPod Touches, if you were really keeping up with the times), blasting some song we heard at the school dance last weekend, where our best friend finally danced with that kid he or she really likes. The Sims games are still popular, there's a DCOM marathon on television later this week, and for once you're actually enjoying your homework readings (let's say The Giver, or The Outsiders). For me, this was sometime between 2009 and 2012, a terribly awkward time that most of us could compare to a personal revival of the Dark Ages. On a less dramatic note, I just described the average morning my friends and I shared on the way to our middle school.

At the beginning of this past week (Monday, 9/17), I walked through the doors of Essex Middle School, humming the tune to a song I had just heard on the radio. The weight of the books in my backpack was a physical reminder of all the reading I still had to do for classes on Tuesday, and I knew I probably wouldn't be able to watch Outlander  until the end of the semester (so, no viewing marathon for me). Things had certainly changed since the last time I was in a middle school, but I was excited to be there all the same.

Source: http://clipartmag.com/images/school-clipart-15.jpg


My excitement only grew when I met Mr. J. (a pseudonym, for confidentiality), one of the amazing 7th and 8th grade humanities teachers at EMS. A St. Mike's graduate, he was pumped to have someone from his alma mater observing his classroom. Luckily for me, the entire team of teachers Mr. J works with were excited to meet me, and are hoping to have me in their own classrooms at some point during the next nine weeks of my placement. Currently, Mr. J., along with the science and math teachers on his team, are working with half of the Essex seventh graders, who they will have again next year for eighth grade. Although I have only spent two, three hour days with Mr. J., my findings and experience are nothing but positive thus far.

EMS has an incredible technology program that allows for a 1:1 students to technology ratio, and Mr. J. uses a variety of apps and websites as entrance and exit tickets for his classes. He is also an avid user of Google Classroom, but he is sure to have a balance between online and hard-copy assignments. Along with the great tech program, EMS also encourages students to read actual books, implementing a school-wide silent reading block for 20 minutes after every lunch period. Almost every teacher I saw was reading along with the students, and even I brought a book on my second day of placement. On day one, Mr. J. was eager to show me the school library, which was far larger than most of the school libraries I have seen since studying at St. Mike's. The school itself had about a dozen student made murals on the walls. Everyone was friendly, and Mr. J. was enthusiastic about having me jump right in to working with his students.

While I did get some great experience helping students with different mapping activities this week (they are learning about latitude and longitude), I find my first impressions of the school much more note worthy. Along with the technology and reading initiatives, I found myself most impressed with the school's "Take A Break," or TAB, classroom management system. When a student is in some way disrupting their class, they are asked to "take a break" in the classroom next door, where a designated desk has a worksheet to fill out for reflection on behavior. Once the student completes the worksheet, they return it to their teacher and discuss the motivations of and possible improvements for their behavior in class. I was amazed at how well the TAB program worked for both students and staff, offering students the opportunity to remove themselves from a busy environment  and  open communication up between student and teacher. Mr. J. is by far one of the best teachers I have shadowed when it comes to classroom management, and I think the TAB system has a lot to do with his great command of the classroom. His students are engaged, respectful, and curious; which are characteristics every teacher strives for in their classes, and I hope to learn more about the aspects of teaching beyond content delivery in the coming weeks. More updates on my placement with Mr. J. at EMS to come, so keep in touch!

Comments

  1. I am so glad you decided to use this blog to reflect on your placement, and I am thrilled that you are enjoying it so far. I appreciate your observations--if you continue to observe and think in this way, you will learn so much. I also think using this blog for reflection, even when it is not assigned is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie, you are hilarious and I love your writing style. Really easy to read and super well written!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Alternatives: Book Reports

As a part of my elementary school's annual community-building program, students in all grades (which, for us, meant Kindergarten through 5th Grade) were asked to read the same short novel at home. Now, I know that sounds odd, considering the average kindergartener is likely at a lower reading level than the average fifth grader. However, with the option to have your parent or guardian read the story with you at home, I assure you that I was able to make it through some higher level reading with little trouble. By participating in year-round activities as a whole school, students were able to relate to each other across grade levels, all because they had read the same book and had followed the same characters. I will never forget how excited I was when I won a dictionary (Yes, a dictionary... I'd be less excited now, too) for answering the most trivia questions correctly about The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs . Though, if I had one complaint about the school- wide

Place-Based Learning: Museums and the Importance of Physical Space in Middle School Education

Before there were formalized schools, there were living rooms, church halls, back steps, battlefields, and the great outdoors. Education came in all shapes and sizes, from the modern understanding of “traditional” study through the analysis of past writings and artifacts to the natural signals one learned to recognize on the farm before an approaching storm. Students were not just young people hunched over a book shielded from the world behind brick walls. They were citizens learning how to manage a family business, reading and printing newspapers, planting seeds, plowing land, and striving to better prepare themselves for the future, whatever it held for them. Today’s students aim to do the same. Yet their education seems to have restricted itself to the boundaries of school property, or perhaps it occasionally wanders beyond county lines. What happened to learning about your environment— and all the life that lived and lives within it— by experiencing everything it has to offer fir

Troublemakers, by Carla Shalaby

Out of any word in the English language, I think I am most intimidated by “power.” It is full of contradictions: Power provokes a sense of accomplishment while implying the achievement and maintenance of power requires competition, hierarchy, and domination. Power is given and taken easily, and it yields to external factors beyond its control. Some people fear power, others are generous with it, and still more meet their doom when pride becomes its companion. Power allows for advancement. It provides a sense of order and control, but it can also create and fuel chaos. Individuals, groups, small islands, and large nations all possess a certain degree of power. As a future educator, the environment of my classroom will depend entirely on how I and my students handle the power we are given in our teacher-student relationships. More importantly, my power as a potential change-maker in their lives— through traditional lessons, personal relationships, worldly guidance, and honest compassion